Wednesday, December 3, 2014

BOOK REVIEW: Keeper of the Lost Cities

Hey Guys!

So, as promised, here is the Keeper book review (yay!).

                               

Never fear--this book does not necessarily represent all of the books I'll be doing (I'm thinking about some historical fiction next....), and I'm planning to do lots of different genres.

Okay, so, on from the boring stuff!

 Author: Shannon Messenger

Genre: Fantasy (well...a little bit of everything, really. there's some Sci-Fi and Mystery in there, too.)

Summary: (from Goodreads) Twelve-year-old Sophie Foster has a secret. She’s a Telepath—someone who hears the thoughts of everyone around her. It’s a talent she’s never known how to explain.

Everything changes the day she meets Fitz, a mysterious boy who appears out of nowhere and also reads minds. She discovers there’s a place she does belong, and that staying with her family will place her in grave danger. In the blink of an eye, Sophie is forced to leave behind everything and start a new life in a place that is vastly different from anything she has ever known.

Sophie has new rules to learn and new skills to master, and not everyone is thrilled that she has come “home.”
There are secrets buried deep in Sophie’s memory—secrets about who she really is and why she was hidden among humans—that other people desperately want. Would even kill for.

In this page-turning debut, Shannon Messenger creates a riveting story where one girl must figure out why she is the key to her brand-new world, before the wrong person finds the answer first.


Why I Love This Book: Where do I start???

  • It starts off with a bang--followed by a fantastic Plotline. The action starts right away. Normally the first few chapters of the first book in the series are boring because the author has to ease into it as they describe the setting, explain the situation, introduce the characters, etc. However, I felt like she did a really good job of doing this in a really interesting way.
  • I want the characters to be my best friends. Oh, how I love these characters. Some are laugh out loud funny (yay for Keefe!), some are super smart (go Dex!), some are loyal (yay Sandor!), and some are traitorous (I believe putting someone here would be considered a *ahem* spoiler alert.). Anyway, they mix together so, so well--kinda like Harry, Ron, and Hermione. I really wish they were real :(.
  • Seriously--who thinks of this stuff? A completely different world full of elves and other creatures? An academy that rivals Hogwarts (wow, I did not realize all the parallels between Keeper and Harry Potter until now...)? Tons of cool gadgets and foods? You can tell more and more as you read that Shannon really though out every aspect of their world. Details, details.
  • The twists and turns keep me guessing. I never know what'll happen next. Ever. 
  • It's funny. I will not spoil anything, but I can assure you hat there is plenty of comic relief.
  • It's fun to get into. If you make your friend read this book, you can talk about it with them.
Age Range/Reading Level: 5th-8th grade (it may be a fun read-aloud, too!)

So READ it!!

Enjoy :))

The Paige Turner



2 comments:

  1. I agree with you, this book is amazing! And Keefe is the best! He reminds me so much of someone I know. Those characters are so ... real! Book 2 is just as good, and I have Book 3 on my to-read list. Awesome series! It reminded me of Harry Potter as well, in some ways, but this series has its own uniqueness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree :). Yay! You love Keefe too! Be sure to read Everblaze, it's excellent-- possibly the best so far.

      Delete